Monday, November 16, 2009

The Missing by Beverly Lewis



A Painful Absence, a Desperate Heart... Is It Too Late to Find Lettie Byler?

Grace Byler longs to uncover the secret that drove her mother to leave the family weeks ago. When all hopes are dashed for such a search, an unlikely friendship leads to a surprising invitation. Meanwhile, the young Amishman Grace thought was courting her best friend takes a sudden interest in her, and Grace's decision to remain single is challenged even as her determination to find her mother grows.

Okay, to start with I have to say that the theory has been proven. Beverly Lewis definitely works in a mysterious form. Like our previous review on the first book in the Seasons of Grace series
The Secret, we have found that not only does the second book normally draw your attention; but The Missing doesn’t let go even after you’re finished. Of course being a fan of Miss Beverly Lewis, I am truly not surprised that she has won my attention and affection for her new book and characters. Grace Byler is definitely the epitome of all my hopes of what a young Amish girl would be like during her Rumschpringe-“Running around years”. I always love to read a book where not only does the young Amish teenager enjoy being Amish, but can’t imagine her life as anything else. Being in the world I don’t see many kids these days that are willing to give up some modern conveniences let alone all of them. Grace Byler, along with almost every other character Miss Lewis has dreamed up, is truly driven to go against the world’s pattern. It reminds me of Romans 12:1-2, where it clearly states that we are supposed to be in the world but definitely not going around as if we are just like them. The Amish are amazing, because they are really living out this scripture whereas Christians today think it’s alright to look and be just like the world as long as they go to church every Sunday. The Missing not only showed me how amazing it really is that there are people willing to live basically like they’re in another century, all the while the 21st century is forming all around them; but that money and modern conveniences don’t hold a candle to what God can provide if you just wait on Him. Just beautiful! And not only does Beverly Lewis write about it, but she portrays it better than I’ve seen anyone else portray it. I’ve always loved to see what it would be like to see someone that is not Amish go into their world and live among them. Beverly Lewis has definitely outdone herself with this one, leaving me not only speechless but craving more as well.
I would definitely recommend this book and this series to you readers, Beverly Lewis is so good at what she does it’s just amazing.

So the Thanksgiving holiday is upon us and hopefully you are all realizing what you’re thankful for. The Lord has blessed us with so much; family, friends, places to go home at night. No matter what we go through we should always remember the things God has done for us, and know that He will get us through it.
Have an amazing Thanksgiving,
Em<333

2 comments:

  1. Awesome review, Em!!! I love reading yall's reviews!!
    I so want to read this! It has been on my wishlist for along time now!

    I am thankful for my wonderful sons and my parents and my online/bloggin buddies!!! And I'm thankful for Karen Kingsbury books :o)!

    Blessings, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy that you liked it Mol, and thanks for sharing what you're thankful for.*hugs*

    ReplyDelete