Thursday, December 10, 2009

Shades of Blue by Karen Kingsbury


A fairytale future. A Checkered past. A decision awaits.

Brad Cutler, twenty-eight, is a rising star at his New York ad agency, about to marry the girl of his dreams. Anyone would agree he has it all—a great career, a beautiful and loving fiancée, and a fairy tale life ahead of him … when memories of a high school girlfriend begin to torment him. Lost innocence and one very difficult choice flood his conscience, and he is no longer sure what the future will bring except for this: He must go back to the shores of Holden Beach in search of his first love, and a forgiveness neither of them has ever known.

Three people must work through the repercussions of a decision made long ago before any of them can look toward a new future.

Finally the review for Shades of Blue comes upon us! Man, how long have I waited for this moment? Too long is my guess. When I first heard that Karen was coming out with another book in October, I was thrilled. It was bad enough that we had to wait till March to get the next Above the Line addition, and the idea of a new novel in between was perfect. Let me just say that Shades of Blue was absolutely amazing! Everyone that’s a Karen Kingsbury fan knows that it could never be less than that, and Shades of Blue did not disappoint. The characters of Brad Cutler and Emma Landon were so realistic it was scary. Every time I picked up the book I felt like I was meeting with old friends. The decision the two of them made was horrible, but the forgiveness they eventually found together was beautiful. Although I was hoping that Emma and Brad would get reunited, this story didn’t end that way. Brad’s fiancée, Laura James started off, to me, as a spoiled rich girl that didn’t care about anyone but herself. Yet in the very end, I feel that Laura redeemed herself by symbolically washing Brad’s feet; and in so doing asked for forgiveness as well. Okay, even though this story didn’t end the way I saw it ending that doesn’t mean it wasn't totally amazing. Shades of Blue was a touching, heartwarming story about a scarred past and a new chance to forgive. It you’re a fan of Kingsbury’s work then I know you will love this story. It was fantastic!

Not only does this book touch your heart, but it also gives you an inside scoop as to what abortion really is. As you see what Emma went through then and the effects it had on her life, it's just heartbreaking. Emma's life should be a lessen to everyone out there, hopefully making them think twice before taking an innocent baby's life.


I hope this review made you think about how precious an unborn baby's life really is.

I hope you have a wonderful Christmas,

Em<333

3 comments:

  1. Alright, you know I'm not big on reading... but this was a good review. I enjoyed the post :) You have a gift with words Em!

    P.S. If I haven't already told you... this is the best blog EVER! Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only I could find the words to say to let you know how much you've touched my life...lol have a happy RK day, Manda!!! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Can I join in on this love fest and tell you both how proud I am of the young women that you have become.....Praise God for you two, and you too, my Lissylu; my polished cornerstones....Psalm 144

    PS great review Em keep on reading......
    mom xoxo

    ReplyDelete