Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Beginnings by Kim Vogel Sawyer


Beth Quinn is struggling to find a place to belong in the Old Order Mennonite Community of Sommerfeld, Kansas. When she starts a business designing stained glass windows, two men-one a Mennonite, the other not-begin to vie for her attention. Andrew Braun, a member of the Sommerfeld fellowship, is dedicated to family and faith. Sean McCauley, the son of a successful businessman, may only be interested in Beth's talents. Will Beth look to her heavenly Father to fill the emptiness within, or will her desperate quest for love shatter more than one heart?

Beginnings by Kim Vogel Sawyer is a story filled with choices. The characters are real enough to touch, and the story is in depth enough to warm your heart. As I read each page I found myself learning more and more about the Mennonites. For instance I had no idea that they were able to participate in creating stain glass. I read more about Old Order Amish than anything else, but it was refreshing to learn something new about this culture. Though they are similar, the Mennonites and the Amish have many differences. Mrs. Sawyer definitely points out these differences well, allowing you to learn right alongside the characters. Beginnings was easy to read and very interesting. Some books I find to be dry and you almost have to make yourself turn each page. But not so with this captivating story. I found myself getting lost in the story, hoping that everything would work out for both Beth and Andrew. I think the thing I liked most about this book was the fact that I got the chance to read it in Pennsylvania. Although this story doesn’t take place in that state, it was still amazing to read it while hearing the sound of horse’s hooves in the background. I give this book two thumbs up! It’s definitely a must read.

Have an amazing Wednesday,
Em<333
*This book was purchased by me for my own collection*

No comments:

Post a Comment